All it takes is one or two nights on the Internet to find all the sonography Web sites you’d ever need to learn about and stay on top of sonography as a profession. But, why spend the time when we’ve done that work for you? The list compiled below consists of the latest updated blogs, Web sites, association Web sites and journal and book sites geared specifically for sonographers.
The list below is categorized, and each link is listed alphabetically to show our readers that we do not favor one resource over another:
The following blogs were chosen for popularity and for the most recent updates.
- Americans For Responsible Imaging: Brought to you by ARI, Americans for Responsible Imaging, a coalition of doctors and patients trying to preserve the American Healthcare system.
- American Journal of Neuroradiology: This blog focuses on book reviews,cases, editorials and more — all related to neuroradiology.
- Cochinblogs: Follow this blog to gain insight into images and case files.
- Dalai’s PACS Blog: This popular blog is provided by “an average Radiologist in an average practice in an average town in the South.”
- Free Ultrasound Machine Reviews and Tips: Brian Gill is the President of GPS Medical, Inc., a company specializing in sales and service of diagnostic ultrasound equipment with specialties in 3D/4D ultrasound techniques as well as evaluating image quality and ease-of-use of various ultrasound models.
- Imaging Informatics News: News updates in the field of medical imaging informatics, to include PACS, image acquisition, CAD, processing enhancement, RIS, and related medical imaging information systems.
- MRI Blog: A technologist in medical imaging shares MRI experiences and links to assorted topics throughout this handsome blog.
- PACS-aholic: Medical imaging news and an “intoxicating look at the PACS industry.”
- RadGirl Radiology Blog: Join an anonymous female radiologist who lives and breathes radiology.
- Radiology Bulletin: This online venue replaces the Word document previously circulated every month.
- Scan Man’s Notes: Vijay Sadasivam, a radiologist practicing in Salem, a city in the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu, provides personal insights into radiology and so much more in this popular blog.
- Sonography News: Diagnostic medical ultrasound imaging news at your fingertips.
- Stan’s NMR Blog: Magnetic resonance techniques are the main focus here, along with a plethora of information that Stan constantly updates.
- Sumer’s Radiology Site: Sumer Sethi is the author of very popular handbook, Review of Radiology, for medical students. He also is CEO of the company, Teleradiology Providers.
- The Daily Scan: Aperio provides daily news and views about digital pathology in this blog.
- X-Rayted: Follow the thoughts and experiences of a radiographer with a sense of the greatness sometimes found in medicine and the ludicrous often found in life.
- Aunt Minnie: AuntMinnie provides a forum for radiologists, business managers, technologists, members of organized medicine, and industry to meet, transact, research, and collaborate on topics within the field of radiology with the ease and speed that only the Internet can provide.
- Diagnostic Imaging: This site provides information for developments in ultrasound across numerous fields.
- HealthImaging: You can find images, information and knowledge “across the enterprise” through this site.
- Image: Enjoy blogs, a magazine, data sheets, a jobs database and a directory all focused on reaching CEOs, CFOs, CIO/IS managers and supervisors, hospital and other medical administrators, PACS administrators, purchasing and QA managers, radiologists, radiation oncologists, radiologic technologists, radiation therapists, sonographers, educators and students enrolled in radiology programs nationwide.
- Learning Radiology: Follow the case of the week and delve into quizzes, an image DDX, and mroe with this Web site.
- Obstetric Ultrasound: Dr. Joseph Woo has compiled over 500 noteworthy medical resources pertaining to obstetrics and sonography. This is a must-go-to site for anyone interested in this field.
- RadRounds: No imaging expert worth his/her salt would be caught dead without this site in bookmarks. This site is useful for many purposes including networking.
- RadsWiki: Join in on the fun with this radiology wiki that focuses on numerous categories and methodologies. This site has grown to feature over 1,572 articles and 3,769 images since February 2007.
- RadWorking: This search engine was designed specifically to search for radiology jobs, rad tech jobs, radiation therapist jobs, ultrasound jobs, nuclear medicine jobs, teleradiology jobs, MRI jobs, mammography jobs and many other radiology job specialties.
- Sonography.it: This is a distance-learning website for musculoskeletal sonography education. To enter the website, it is necessary to register yourself as user.
- SonoWorld: SonoWorld is dedicated to the mission of bringing free or low-cost educational materials and information to the global ultrasound community.
- Yottalook: Try out this medical imaging search engine for Web, journals, teaching files, images, books and anything else you can dream up.
Most of the associations listed below also have online representations of their medical journals, which is why we did not list those publications:
- American College of Radiology: For over three quarters of a century, ACR has devoted its resources to making imaging safe, effective and accessible to those who need it. This society has over 34,000 members including radiologists, radiation oncologists, medical physicists, interventional radiologists and nuclear medicine physicians.
- American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine: AIUM is a multidisciplinary association dedicated to advancing the safe and effective use of ultrasound in medicine through professional and public education, research, development of guidelines, and accreditation.
- American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography: ARDMS is an independent, nonprofit organization that administers examinations and awards credentials in the areas of diagnostic medical sonography, diagnostic cardiac sonography, vascular interpretation and vascular technology.
- American Roentgen Ray Society: ARRS, founded in 1900, is the first and oldest radiology society in the United States.
- American Society of Echocardiography: ASE is a professional organization of physicians, cardiac sonographers, nurses and scientists involved in echocardiography, the use of ultrasound to image the heart and cardiovascular system.
- Canadian Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers: SEMC includes in its membership ultrasound professionals from all specialty areas of Diagnostic Medical Ultrasound, as well as technical representatives, physicians, educators and students.
- Focused Ultrasound Surgery Foundation: This organization focuses on the new therapy of focused ultrasound. The site contains information for patients, researchers and clinicians.
- Radiological Society of North America: Founded in 1915, the Radiological Society of North America is a professional membership society committed to excellence in patient care through education and research.
- Society for Imaging Informatics in Medicine: SIIM is devoted to advance computer applications and information technology in medical imaging through education and research.
- Society for Vascular Ultrasound: SVU has represented vascular technologists, vascular physicians, vascular lab managers, nurses, and other allied medical ultrasound professionals since 1977.
- Society of Breast Imaging: SBI is a professional medical organization dedicated to improving the practice of breast imaging, enhancing the quality of breast imaging education and providing a medium for the exchange of ideas among those involved in breast imaging.
- Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography: The Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (SDMS) is a non-profit association for ultrasound professionals.
Books, Journals and Downloads
- Atlas of Foot and Ankle Sonography: A free download from Free Medical eBooks and Lectures, this book was prepared by two leading experts in musculoskeletal ultrasound and a well-known podiatrist.
- Interscience Sonography: Wiley InterScience provides access to over 3 million articles across nearly 1500 journals and 7000 Online Books and major reference works. This link leads to a vast list of sonography articles.
- Journal of Diagnostic Medical Sonography: Read more about the latest diagnostic techniques and interpretation methods, thought-provoking case reports, most practical research applications, and the newest hardware/software technologies and equipment, in a variety of specialty areas.
- MDConsult: This link leads to a search for sonography at MDConsult. Scroll down that page to learn about all the resources that this site offers to sonographers.
- OpenPDF Sonography: This link leads to the downloads for sonography, including images of head and neck lipomas, an analysis of sonographic images of the breast and more.
- Pelviperineology: This is the official Journal of Australian Association of Vaginal and Incontinence Surgeons,
Integrated Pelvis Group, Società Interdisciplinare del Pavimento Pelvico and Perhimpunan Disfungsi Dasar Panggul Wanita Indonesia.
- PubMed Sonography: PubMed is the U.S. National Library of Medicine’s online representative. This link leads to over 28,000 results for “sonography.”
- Radiation Oncology: This is an open access, peer-reviewed online journal that encompasses all aspects of research that impacts on the treatment of cancer using radiation. It publishes findings in molecular and cellular radiation biology, radiation physics, radiation technology, and clinical oncology.
- Radiology Today: This magazine covers day-to-day and strategic issues that affect your department or facility. Be sure to visit their blog as well.
- Sonography at Google Books: Wrap your head around a large variety of textbooks, books for the public and medical books intended for patients and professionals at this list.